"Devs are paid too much"

When I wrote my post, I didn’t think “getting paid in grins” would be the stake. Rather, I thought, parallel to early bitcoin devs, devs of grin might have been the first and earliest miners, and thus, in a position of a somewhat large stash, and that might be able to provide them an economical stake in the success of the project.

They were, but due to the high graph-rate compared to bitcoin’s early hashrate, they could barely amass a hundred grin. It takes some serious disposable income to invest much more heavily in Grin. And Grin is very unlikely to gain 1000x like bitcoin did.

2 Likes

All good points. And I hate to seem like arguing over someone else’s bread. Really, I don’t care much about 10k/month or whatever that is; since that money isn’t out of my pocket.

However, I remember a scene from Scarface:
Tony Montana: I’m telling you. We’re getting sloppy. Our thinking, our fucking attitude, you know? We’re not fucking hungry anymore.

1 Like

How do you know that core developers have not mined and/or bought Grin out of their own funds? You’re presuming a lot with this point in your argument.

If core devs bought grins in the first weeks of the projet, they lost a lot of money :wink:

Idem for all the miners that mined since the beginning and hodl their coins.

I don’t know whether they bought, or already have a stash.

My original point (see my first post on this thread) was that the devs should already have a future, economical stake on the success of this project. And this can be part of their earning when they are working on this project.

But sadly, it’s not how it works in real life :wink:

You still have to eat and feed your family wether Grin is worth something or not.

How can a stash be part of their earnings? Any stash will have been bought by the developer in the market at market prices out of their own funds. That is an outgoing, not income.

There were no founders’ rewards or any of that mallarkey when Grin started with its fair launch process so the original contributors got no freebies or kickbacks if that is what you are suggesting as to how they might have come by this “stash” that you mention.

2 Likes

Yet, if the project is successful, if there is traction in usage, etc., those bought coins will appreciate in their values.

Look. You are missing the forest for the trees.

You are missing my general argument for a simple example.

My argument is this: instead of 10k/month or something, perhaps it is better for devs to have a stake in the form of future appreciation due to the project success.

That was my argument.

Take it or leave it, whatever. I am not going to keep arguing about the some specific details.

No problem - not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, just trying to understand the point you made about something that is fairly contentious atm.

(If some dev. owns a stash and it appreciates - and I know some do - great! But that is quite different to incentives such as share options a dev. might get in a tech start-up if that is the kind of thing you are thinking about - in that case, the options are granted and don’t need to be purchased by the recipient out of their own funds until the the time of vesting whereupon they are immediately sold to cover the cost and the balance is then the reward, assuming the shares have risen in value. Anyway… no trees, no forrest :))

1 Like

@fs0c Your point is valid, this is done successfully by many companies and crypto projects, that is, paying partly or fully their employees in shares\crypto. If a fixed percentage of newly generated coins goes to project funds (e.g Horizen ZEN), this makes a lot of sense. However, the Grin core team is funded by donations not linked to the value of GRIN, so for this project paying employees in GRIN makes less sence.
Anyhow, I am certain those involved with GRIN have their own voluntary stake in the project both by being commited to the project and by buying GRIN themselves. Failure of the project means less donations in the long term and as such losing funding for core team members. To me the current situation seems the most natural and organic way for core members to have stake in the project, best fitting to the Grin project. Of course it would be nice if the project could run purely on voluntary work, but this is not realistic in a world with so many crypto projects with large teams and large funding. E.g the Horizen (ZEN) team has around 50 employees!

2 Likes