Community Council restructuring

Update on the Community Council restructuring.
Cross post from the Grin public Telegram group.
On Tuesday we had a video call to get the new CC members and our new representative up to speed and to discuss what we as Council as well as individuals want to achieve and get them up to speed on how things are organized.

Our new members are all admins to the public Telegram channel for discussion and public voting and have been granted administrative rights to grincc · GitHub,
We explained how anyone can suggest topics for meeting agendas which can be found under ’ agenda’ → Issues. Find here a link to our next meeting agenda. Any community member is free to suggest agenda topics:
Agenda: Community Council (CC), 24 October 2023 · Issue #113 · grincc/agenda · GitHub
Be warned that the time for the meetings will likely change, since we want to at least have on in two meetings the option for CC members in the US and New Zealand to join.
There are also some discussion going on on whether we should more actively use the Grin Discord, but for now we stick to:
Telegram - for public voting and discussions
KeyBase - for our biweekly meetings
Grin forum - for any content related discussions, please join the forum if you are serious about a) staying up to date and b) for contributing to discussions on Grin as well as for discussing bounties, funding requests etc. Hope to see you there :grin:.

Before you suggest bounties or say Grin needs XYZ, I would suggest to search the forum, there is a wealth of information and discussions, or check out GitHub - grincc/hub: GRIN scripts and tools for an overview of what we already have in the Grin ecosystem. Spoiler, there are WAY MORE grin resources, docs and code than most grinners are aware off😉.

1 Like

I know you guys like keybase for whatever reason historically, but it would be nice if the meetings could be somewhere more public. Less and less people use keybase everyday I guess. Why not have meetings on something people actually use (like telescam or discord or heck probably even way more folks on IRC than keybase nowadays). And if you really want something self-hosted and encrypted it is pretty easy to run your own matrix instance, which is apparently way more popular than keybase now:

I might join the meetings but I deleted my keybase account when they got bought by Stellar. I wouldn’t even consider myself a “community member”, i.e., I’m not gonna go create a new keybase account so I can listen, but if it was somewhere I already was (which is basically every other chat app in existence) then I might join the meeting cause why not.

Probably not happening. It’s not that big of a hurdle to clear to get on keybase if someone is interested. It’s more uncomfortable for me to have to register a phone number with Telegram or Discord which I’m not already on than it is to get into keybase.

1 Like

I agree. Discord is unfortunately really harvesting all your private information, connections, etc. Keybase is better in terms of privacy.

1 Like

There’s no need for a phone number with matrix (you don’t need to self-host, you can use element servers and have encrypted rooms, the server admin will just be able to see who is in the room afaik). There’s also no need for a phone number with session or xmpp clients like conversations.im and dino (that can also do encrypted group chats). These are others I have on my phone already, and they also appear more popular than keybase:


I guess if you don’t want anyone to attend the meetings keep using the absolute least popular messaging app owned by the stellar shitcoin foundation :woman_shrugging:

I believe Keybase is owned by Zoom now. There was already someone around here proposing Matrix too. If you want to discuss grin on Matrix or Discord everyone is free to do that. But the core community does not tend to move often. When grin started we had to use Gitter and we didn’t complain.

I’m in the matrix and telescam rooms. I’m not complaining. I was simply pointing out that I would probably attend meetings if you guys used one of the (seemingly) hundreds of chat apps already on my phone :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Meanwhile I’m trying to figure out how I can get Telegram off my phone.

1 Like

The only reason Discord wants a phone number is to reduce spam. Matrix has horrendous spam. Keybase might not have spam because it’s probably not worth writing spam bots for such a small platform :smile:

I would support revamping the discord server to be more aligned with what people expect from a tech project. Discord has become the default home base for all tech projects. Yes, not great from a privacy perspective, but it’s good to thinking about these things holistically in terms of the tradeoffs. It’s an objectively good platform

There was a time when Gitter was the tech project default. Then Keybase took that mindshare. It has been a long time since Keybase was the developer world’s first choice.

My guess is that they haven’t moved off of keybase because the community died around the time that Keybase fell off

See that’s perfect. Our cozy home.

Anyway, I will get on one new platform for anyone who can get me out of Telegram lol.

1 Like

There is a grin community started on Matrix with a few folks and channels already, if anyone wants to join: