CC Fund: expenses, responsibilities, spending guidelines and follow-up processes

Thank you again. I’ll address to @Neo and @Anynomous replies together about the issues from the original post first to keep it short, hope it’s not mixing things up:

CC Role definition / CC Spending guidelines:

@Anynomous pushed PR that defines the role of the CC members:

Grin Community Councilm members are primarily representatives of the community and are keyholders of the community funds. … Decision making on funding request as well as defining, checking and reviewing deliverables is a community effort.

We (as a community) will have to take a more active part as mentioned above but I think It is important to add a clarification that the responsibility of the CC members (as the keyholders) is to approve only expenses that meet the spending guidelines.

Just to make sure that the “final word” is the spending guidelines to avoid misunderstandings what can/cannot be funded. It makes sense?

@davidtavarez explained it better a year ago:

GK duties:

if we clarified the responsibility of the CC members as keyholders, it’s basically transfers most of the responsibility to the community, and the GK as part of his duties will publishes regular updates to keep the community informed about the mentioned topics:

Right now I’m just trying to solve the issues from the original post without additional expenses or changing the rules so I think the one GK role covers it. Let me know if you think we should add or change something.

Transparency reports:

I asked @Cobragrin about the GRIN wallet report, he explained to me that he does not have access to the GRIN wallet and he got the records from the CC members, but…

I tried to verify it again after the last merged PR from 2023-05-24 (2 days ago) but when calculating the total revenue - total expenses we get -240,478 GRIN while the stated current balance is 128,307 GRIN

@Anynomous Can you please update the GRIN wallet missing records first to solve this issue?

Mining reports:

Can we add “Mining report” under the Docs repo or maybe a new repo?

Paying 30% of the base currency makes the accounting work easier, so basically this is a one time task (info file + list) and then only requires a regular updates from the GRIN wallet report so it doesn’t add any ongoing administrative work but solves all the transparency issues.

Decision making:

The engagement with this post is an good example how the community members share their opinion and engage if they understand the topic or if it’s enough important to them.

For example, we can improve the community engagement as suggested in the replies of this post:

Personally, I’m not sure what is the “best way”, but we can be sure that once the information are more transparent and accessible, the community members will be able to share an opinion and contribute to the discussions.

Some of us may even be able to contribute code or take part in other things.

Funding requests vs Bounties:

I think that this post proved that the funding requests method is much more complicated, especially when we can’t enforce it, make sure what the end result will be or what will go wrong along the way as happened several times. It worked, until it didn’t.

The question that needs to be asked is, why put community funds at risk in the first place?

Bounties reduces the risk to zero and simplifies the whole process with a clear definition for the end result, so we can avoid unnecessary arguments and dramas:

There are still issues that need to be discuss (thanks to @renzokuken who explained above) but I think the community supports the need for changes, at least in this post.

6 Likes