Cannot install grin on Windows 10 subsystem for linux ( ubuntu )

hey all,

can somebody help me building this on windows 10 subsystem? it worked on Hyper V but i would like to try on windows 10 subsystem but get an error . please help

i get error :

grin@DESKTOP-UMQ7NEI:~$ sudo apt install mc build-essential cmake git libgit2-dev clang libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev zlib1g-dev pkg-config libssl-dev llvm -y
[sudo] password for grin:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package mc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package llvm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
llvm-3.9-dev llvm-6.0-runtime llvm-6.0-dev llvm-3.9-runtime

E: Package ‘mc’ has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libgit2-dev
E: Unable to locate package clang
E: Package ‘llvm’ has no installation candidate
grin@DESKTOP-UMQ7NEI:~$

WSL (or native Rust build) does not work with Grin, there is a reason why VM is the only choice on Windows right now. Your issues are unrelated to the real problem, but the end results is the same. WSL does not work.

hey photon,

thx for the help. i installed hyperv and ubuntu server ( just like the video showed about mining grin on windows ) and i was able to make a grin server , build grin miner but when i want to start mining it directly stops the miner. is it possible for u to make a teamvieuwer connection and help me out? i would really like to start on mainnet 15 januari but i can not manage to get on testnet4 :frowning:

Which plugin do you use to mine? The default cuckaroo_cpu_avx2_29 need almost 4G memory. You could try the cuckaroo_cpu_compat_29 one but I’m afraid it would be too hard to submit a share in Floonet.

Just test on WSL with ubuntu 18.04.1, grin&grin-miner are both builded successfully, but grin can not sync blocks, and grin-miner can not find the cuckoo plugin.

As photon said, WSL is not supported, so I didn’t try more.