Blockchain Wealth Inequality

For any Proof-of-Work blockchain with a well defined emission, we can consider the following quantity:

Define GWG (Generational Wealth Gap) as the supply allocated to the first 20 years divided by the supply allocated to the next 20 years. To stress that it’s a factor we write it with an x (pronounced “times”).

Bitcoin’s emission halves every 4 years, so it halves 5 times per generation and we find

Bitcoin GWG = 32x

Monero’s emission at launch has a block reward of ((MAX:u64) - supply) * 2^-20 * 10^-12 per minute. This rather fast reward reduction, halving in a little over a year, gives

Monero0 GWG = 22584x

but later they added a tail emission that sets the block reward at a minimum of 0.3 per minute, which gives

Monero GWG = 5.85x

Dogecoin emitted around 100B in its first year, but thereafter emits a constant 5B per year, which gives

Dogecoin GWG = 1.95x

Of course Grin allocates the same to every generation, and so

Grin GWG = 1x

11 Likes

Haven’t checked the calculations, but the definition makes sense. One thing I’d add is that if we defined it in terms of inflation rate e.g.
avg inflation of generationN divided by avg inflation of generationN+1

it’d be impossible to get 1 as a result because you’d need a premine or transition to a fixed % inflation rate later on, neither of which would give yield a 1.

2 Likes

Interesting new metric. I disagree with the name though. Its more of a generational emission ratio than a wealth gap.

Wealth of some coins is the total purchasing power of coins, not just the total number of coins. Your model does not account for purchasing power.

A gap is a synonym for difference, but your model uses a ratio, not a difference.

Lastly, your model neglects inheritance. Coins will either pass down to future generations, or be lost (and thus exit the economy). The original owners don’t get to hoard them beyond their own lifetime.

But, it is an interesting notion to think about

By definition you need inflation for somewhat fair society. Inflation is the oil in the car.

I’ll add on tromp notes :spiral_notepad: I believe grin is the most beautiful creation because it devalues me.

The cost of opportunity is so fair in grin, that it is remarkable.

That why I alway say grin is not good investment, because it simple economics.

It’s hurt little inside that demand never came to counter act the devaluation. But that risk we take with young experiments.

We’re only 5 years in. Its too early to be saying ‘demand never came’. Grin was never designed for your 5 year expectations.

1 Like

Better investment than any currency, you are not holding your cash with expectation to be rich from this, you are USING this.

The best thing about Grin - it is different from any coin/currency/commodity ever existed.
Now - its investment of time to develop ecosystem, do what you can.
Later - it will be digital cash, use at where you can.
After another 40+ years it can be imagined like Gold, hold as long as you can and pass to kids.

Grin is the best creature we have for last 14 years after Bitcoin. Look forward now, not in the past. Grin is a future.

1 Like

Every currency overtime loses purchasing power. It’s the nature of currency.

I’m highly considering starting online country and backing the currency to grin. While we have this free time for this decade

I’m not saying demand isn’t going to come, but sadly it never came.

We need society of freethinkers. I’m highly considering starting government.

I use the term government but truthfully anything that has the ability to protect it citizens without invading their privacy.

Offering tools to its citizens.

Identification & online storage

Requiring nano grin to use these tools

Sounds like Metagrin.
How will you implement digital ID for them?

Your country can be easily spammed with bots then.

I don’t know any deflationary currency, Grin is unique here, purchasing power will only rise here.

One option is to implement a continuous fee of 1000 nano grin for each block, with all the collected funds being pooled together. Considering that there are 525,600 blocks in a year, the total funds accumulated would amount to 0.5256 grin coins.

Given that each block on the grin blockchain produces a total of 60,000,000,000 nano grin, this would allow for a capacity of up to 60,000,000 million citizens to participate in the system.

Data Storage