Yeastplume - Progress update thread - Jan to March 2020

Update Monday, March 30th, 2020

The hybrid tx building RFC is a hotbed of activity, and while I haven’t yet fully formed opinions on what transaction flows we should be advocating, I do know that ensuring the slate is as minimal as possible will enable options that we may not currently have. My focus continues to be on the experimental slate reduction PR.

Last week was very rabbit-holey in service of this PR, and involved a trip back to our secp-256k1 fork to implement a Pubkey to Commit function, the absence of which was making a particular piece of code that calculates and stores the excess for either part very awkward. It’s been a good while since anyone made any changes to that repo, so also took a bit of time there to perform some maintenance, cleaning up warnings, the build (thanks @quentinlesceller,) etc…

Then a similar round on rust-secp256k1, and the rest of the week was spent integrating changes into the slate-reduction PR and continuing to reduce, and I’m happy with progress there so far. The current state of the minimised slate is even more reduced than what’s currently in the comments, and I’ll be updating the PR with details of changes and progress later in the week. There are still a few more obvious reductions that can be done, and I’d like to get them all in first so as the tx-building PR can be fully informed.

So that’s it for my work update. These are very harrowing times, people’s nerves are likely to be frayed for reasons far more important than Grin. People aren’t at their best, and that’s okay and perfectly understandable. Though my actions are far from perfect, I’d still like to make a little appeal to everyone to at least try to make an extra effort to apply a little bit more civility and understanding then they otherwise might. Everyone’s sanity depends on it.

10 Likes