Yeastplume - Progress update thread - April to June 2020

Update Friday, May 1st 2020

And with one mighty pull I can (kind of) confidently say that the work to support compact slates, with the added bonus of binary output, is complete. There may be a few additions to the RFC, but I very much hope to have any changes done + the RFC into final comment period for the Governance meeting next Tuesday.

It’s taken more time than initially anticipated, particularly because all of the reductions mean that wallets need to keep full track of their parts of the transaction as opposed to being able to read them back from returned slates. Further, everything needs to remain compatible with 3.x.x wallets for the period between the release of v4.0.0 and HF3, meaning that the wallet still needs to be able to output and handle V3 slates. Then between http/tor sending, receiving, invoicing workflows and file workflows between both versions of wallets, then updating tests and fixing issues found during tests then manually testing wallet compatibility (and then maintaining the RFC in parallel,) it’s been quite the chunk of work.

But it’s more or less done now, and we now have a compact slate branch that should be ready for merge into master while remaining compatible with all of the wallets out there.

Next up, one or two possible changes and refinements, then hopefully next week should finally be the week of slate-serialization/armoring experiments.

I think I’m going to celebrate by staying at home this weekend. Please remember not to do anything interesting.

6 Likes