What to mine? Choosing between Cuckatoo31+ and Cuckaroo29

Just curious - I did not read deeply into the miner sources yet, but are this numbers available to the mining software over stratum? Because it would be great if (later) some 3rd party miner could detect if the one or the other gives better reward (in case both work on the system) and tries to aim for balancing it too.

Since there are only few 11G cards among miners but a lot of 8G it may even be that a balancing could pick cuckato-31-lean in the beginning over cuckaroo-29 mean. At least for a limited time that may happen.
What do you think?

Yes, both GrinScan and GrinExplorer show the AR scale of the blocks. Just look at the latest block to get an idea what the scale currently is.

Looking at https://floonet.grinexplorer.net/block/01cc04ecbb0b1e486c5fd2e91b6703b1c71e7c4089440f36192fe5023ca162e3

that would be “Secondary Scale - 542” correct?

Correct, and “AR scale” on GrinScan.

Thanks for explaining. It was extremely useful information for newcomers like me but I’m having trouble reconciling the numbers.

Using block 12,008 as an example, Total Difficulty was 635,576,754.

Assuming I’m mining on C31, am I right to say that in the event that my miner has a solution, the probability of it getting accepted in block 12,008 was

7936 (weight) / 635,576,754 (difficulty) = 0.001248629681632%?

The theoretical probability seems to be too low. Am I using the wrong difficulty to calculate?

Total difficulty is the sum of difficulties from genesis to current block.
You should instead use the target difficulty of 84,490 …

1 Like

Hi Diemen,
I saw in 2016, and following since, the first article on MimbleWimble and it immediatly caught my attention.
A few weeks ago I bought myself a rig(je) and wanted to mine Beam but I am not sure anymore.
With a company behind it is more vunerable to outside influences.
I see there is not much mining done on cuckatoo31+.
But with 1080ti cards it would be better to mine with cuckatoo31+ right?
Just looking at the probability that I would ‘hit’ a block.
So dont know right now…
Robbert

Will there be a cuda miner or only open cl for mainnet?
Thank you?

Would be nice to exclude mining farms.So lets say everything above 50 or 100 gpus would be excluded.
I dont know if it is possible to achieve that but it would give more power to the ‘people’.

Greetings,
Robbier

That is not possible.

That would be a real community driven coin instead of centralised farms with a few owners, right? But if it is not possible it is not possible

Hi lolliedieb, question about your question. :blush:

Since there are only few 11G cards among miners but a lot of 8G it may even be that a balancing could pick cuckato-31-lean in the beginning over cuckaroo-29 mean. At least for a limited time that may happen.

What does it mean with lean or mean mining? I am going to mine grin but don’t know which one I will have to use,with 6 1080ti. Cuckoo 29 with a lot of hash or cuckoo31+ with a few miners.

To make a long story short we have two PoWs here, cuckaroo-29 and cuckatoo-31.

Both each have two algorithm types to mine, lean and mean mining. The first type uses much less memory but requires memory access in a way thats not efficient on a GPU while second works much faster on GPU.

The 31-mean miner will only work on GPUs with 11G memory at the moment. So we can estimate the hash rate is rather low. I just anticipated it may be that although not efficient on GPU 31-lean gives more profit then 29-mean.

I’ve been mining with CUDA on Ubuntu. Check this tutorial out:

1 Like

And which page tu use from github? 1) MimbleWimble / grin-miner or 2) grin-pool/ grin-pool. Or is it the same miner? Thanks

Got the answer else where. Is it true we need a 4core cpu as a minimum or a dual core can do the job{have Intel cpu g4400 @3,3ghz.will it work with C31 or need to buy other cpu? Thanks… Getting everything ready for testing

Hi Tromp,

Sorry to belabour this point, i have been reading this page for an hour and playing with some numbers and would like to know if I am on the right track to understanding how to do the calculations on where to assign my rtx 2080 ti at any given moment .

Using the example from above ( block height 12,008) for target difficulty, here are my variables I will use :

GPU speed(GPS31): 1.7
weight (C31): 7936
target difficulty: 84490

so i get:
(1.7 / 42) x 7936 / 84490 = 0.0038018587716776800

you called this a reward rate in the original post, does that mean i get approx 0.0038 found blocks per second as my average reward rate at that point in time?

If i haven’t gone off the rails yet would it be fair to say that:

1 / 0.0038 (reward rate per second) = 263.03, meaning i would have had an average wait of 263 seconds for a block to be found (at block height 12,008)?

Thanks in advance…

2 Likes

Yes, all your conclusions are correct.

1 Like

Thanks for looking that over, much appreciated, I am sure you are very busy in these days!

I was hoping you could also confirm that if I were substitute these values below into the formula above

GPU speed(GPS29): 6.3
AR Scale: 1856

(6.3 / 42) x 1856 / 84490 = 0.0032950645046751100

if that is correct, can i compare that rate of blocks found per second (GPS29) directly to the figure in my previous example (GPS31) ?

Or is there something else that needs to be considered like the 90% / 10% split of blocks being issued?

That is correct too.

No; the reward splitting is already reflected in the value of AR Scale, which you used to arrive at your reward rate.