Transaction Interactivity Levels

I’m assuming you’re talking about the rust wallet.

yes

You sent me a slatepack so I have it somewhere as a string of characters. This could be on google hangouts private chat where you pasted it to me or publicly on a forum.

yes, I call the receive command with grin-wallet receive and it asks me to paste the slatepack you sent me. After I do this, the wallet outputs a slatepack message which I then copy to you.

yes. The finalize also broadcasts the transaction to the network.

In the flow you described, there is no Tor. But we didn’t describe how the slatepacks are exchanged, we just said “I send the slatepack to you”. The docs mention “This interaction could even take place over email or Signal (or carrier pigeons )”. Tor is just one of the possible transport layers and the Slatepack RFC chose Tor as the layer through which people exchange slatepacks. It describes where information about the transport layer is stored and how the slatepacks look like so that the parties have a standardized way of sending slatepacks.

The UITX copy/paste of strings does not use Tor. But UITX can use Tor with all the Tor benefits which is to exchange the slatepack in an encrypted way and masking the source and the destination by bouncing around the network of nodes. In fact, the rust grin-wallet can do that today because it tries to contact the Tor address by default. The only reason I’m not using this is because I want to manually confirm (UITX, not UNITX) and right now the grin-wallet doesn’t support Tor exchange in this way, but I don’t think there are any major obstacles for having this supported at some point.

2 Likes