Request For Funding, @JRandomCryptographer

Full time cryptographers/mathematicians often cost more per year than all the funding grin has ever had, added up.

We should also have a full time masseuse, but dreams are expensive. It would be a shame to blow all our money on something that might not even pan out. At least massages are guaranteed outcome of masseuse.

There are already full time cryptographers that might work day and night for us essentially for free, I think we should start there.

4 Likes

Full time cryptographers/mathematicians often cost more per year than all the funding grin has ever had, added up.

I seriously doubt this is common. If it were, I would be looking at a career change. Grin has close to $1 million. Sarang was charging Monero $10K/month the last I checked, which is the standard (yeast-unit) that Grin pays for FT developers.

1 Like

For Free ?? No way. No way you will find a FULL TIMER for free

1 Like

I know a pure mathematician who makes almost half a million a year. I guess I don’t know many mathematicians though.

@newtownf1the majority of the mathematicians i have ever known paid money out of their own pocket to work more than full time on math. it is extremely common, they are called students.

1 Like

I vote for benedict bunz PhD at stanford

1 Like

The dev fund has a considerable balance but may not be easily refreshed. While I would love to see an injection of innovation for our coin I worry some about burning through funding at the rate a full time cryptographer, without any promise of results.

I wonder if bounties would be a good option? Would it be possible to define a few of our main goals and put a bounty on each?

3 Likes

I agree with this sentiment. Grin should attract the talent it needs by itself.

1 Like

I think you’re mistaking Grin for a company. This approach is way too contrived for a project of Grin’s pedigree.

2 Likes

What is the dev fund for if not to encourage innovation? Was 50 BTC really donated with the expectation it would be used for administrative expenses? Impossible to know for sure, but I highly doubt it.

1 Like

I agree with this sentiment. Grin should attract the talent it needs by itself.

How? It hasn’t attract a cryptographer yet.

1 Like

Technically, we can’t know this. Why would the cryptographer announce his existence to us if he hasn’t found anything yet?

3 Likes

I wonder if bounties would be a good option? Would it be possible to define a few of our main goals and put a bounty on each?

Chia does something similar, but they have much more defined criteria like “Improve performance of class groups - fastest impl wins”

John pointed out above that our criteria isn’t as easily defined.

2 Likes

To not agree with you here does not conversely mean to take the position that a non-trivial donation must be used for administrative expenses. This is classic “straw-man”, and unduly trivializes contradictory opinions.

4 Likes

Look at Bitcoin. For the most part, developers work on it because they want to.

I am not yet familiar enough with the Grin project. Therefore, I don’t know who does the actual dev work currently and did in the past.

1 Like

Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. I interpreted your original statements to mean you would be against hiring anyone solely to innovate. And to me, anything outside of innovation is administration.

1 Like

Look at Bitcoin. For the most part, developers work on it because they want to.

It’s easy to say “look at bitcoin,” but the truth is, there is not, and likely never will be another coin like bitcoin. First mover advantage was huge, and the profit incentive is a huge motivator. Grin doesn’t have anything like that, and it’s emission was chosen to minimize investor profits. As such, it’s hard to motivate people to come work on grin the same way bitcoin can.

I am not yet familiar enough with the Grin project. Therefore, I don’t know who does the actual dev work currently and did in the past.

Grin appears to be losing devs right now, not gaining them. Development has slowed down, fewer 3rd party projects being announced, and we lost 2 core devs, including the founder, in the last few months.

3 Likes

You can compare this with the poet, he will not be recognized until he does something crazy, or does not blow up the audience with his statements, then he will be noticed.
I apologize for the English)

1 Like

Not necessarily a poet, a person will be noticed only after he stands on the edge of a 15-story building, or after a major accident. If a person can do something, but he hasn’t done anything crazy, then most likely they simply will not pay attention to him. And so he said everything correctly.

From my point of view working together with several universities is a smart idea, especially with the upcoming FATF mandate. You already see several exchanges delisting privacy coins. Working together will be good for Grin.

3 Likes

Out of curiousity, why do you consider Zcoin a “serious” Crypto project ? I can understand the others though.