On Igno's Absence

Wow! A true decentralized project, perhaps when it will be managed by a swarm of enthusiasts and their technocratic friend artificial intelligence. Everyone has long understood that GRIN was presented to us from above, and in General this abbreviation GRIN means - Global… Invisible Network. Team respect!

And how do you know he knows?

1 Like

Am I missing something? Why is everybody leaping to the conclusion that Igno is gone for good?

He recently communicated to us in the council that he needs to be away from the project for a while for personal reasons.

Life is complicated. Terrible events can occur and come seemingly out of nowhere, loved ones can get sick or, god forbid, pass away suddenly. Really, there are dozens of reasons why Igno might actually need to take time away from a project like this for personal reasons, as suggested.

As I understand it, Igno was part-way through some fairly significant and self-directed developments, like I2P. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for him to just up and leave, simply to do a “Satoshi”. So, my guess is that OP is accurate: he needs to take some time away for personal reasons. I’d be quite surprised if that’s the last we hear from him.

8 Likes

It’s a big stretch to assume “Igno” was involved in the Bitcoin white paper.

However, it’s quite obvious from his writings that he’s on the same page as “Satoshi” and was close to Bitcoin in its early days. That’s why Grin(MW) has a seal of approval from some of the “maximalist” crowd who generally discourage all Alt coins. Hence the 50BTC donation from a 2010 block.

Because he’s anonymous, so many expected him to step away for good at some point to complete the Satoshi feature :grin:

1 Like

God speed, Igno. Hopefully we see you back here sooner than later! But until then, thank you, and be well!

7 Likes

Personally I think Igno left like Satoshi before to keep the project completely anonymous and developed by community.
Anyway, thanks for his work and best wishes for him.

3 Likes

And I just realized that the monetary policy was created by Igno too. He foresees the very long term future…

1 Like

Igno is back :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That was a release I did earlier today, that always come up as being from Igno’s account for some reason… I actually had a moment of hope when I saw a ‘mail from Igno’ email after doing a build, but realized what it was shortly after.

Oh I was just joking … that’s how Github works. All releases are marked as authored by the project owner, so all releases will show up as Igno’s, regardless who posts them.

p.s. You just killed a possible price hike with your reply though :smile:

Just found interesting meanings behind his name:

“Ignotus” (Latin word " īgnōtus ") in addition to “unknown,” may mean “forgiven,” “strange,” “unacquainted with,” or “ignorant of.”[10]

Some Christians have theorised that, if accepting “forgiven” as the meaning of the name, Ignotus’ Invisibility Cloak may have some similarity to the concept of “the garments of salvation” and a “robe of victory”(Isaiah 61:10)[11]. In Christianity, it is suggested that becoming a slave of righteousness leads to holiness and thus eternal life (Romans 6) - as opposed to becoming a slave of sin, which leads to death. The concept of Jesus’ death and resurrection granting forgiveness of sin (also Romans 6) might be interpreted as the “forgiven” being granted a “garment of salvation / robe of victory” and thus, defeating death.

If translating Ignotus as “strange,” we might simply be seeing a bit of J.K. Rowling’s quirky humour.

If translating Ignotus as “unacquainted with,” we might consider Ignotus as unacquainted with Death for a lot longer than he perhaps should have been. However, as the story mentions that he met Death, then at the end of his life greeted Death as an “old friend”[12] he appears to have been acquainted with Death for much of his life.

If translating Ignotus as “ignorant of”, we may take the meaning to refer to Ignotus’ ability to hide, so that others were ignorant of him. It is an error to translate Ignotus only as “ignorant”.

2 Likes

Ah, well that explains a lot of rumours I’ve been hearing. I wouldn’t blame him if he went full Satoshi at this point but would appreciate him coming back once he/she/they are ready to.

My guess would be that Igno won’t return under that pseudonym, but perhaps disguised under another username.

2 Likes

anyone else find it just a little too coincidental that this post appeared 12 hours after the launch of cruzbit?

“asdvxgxasjab” is clearly done by an old head who doesn’t want attention, hence remaining anon. hmm.

https://cruzb.it/

writing style (a bit broken) has nothing to do with Ignotus’

Also I think you don’t leave 2.5 years of dedication to do a new unknown shitcoin the week after.

It is like Satoshi is now deving for Digibyte or Iota.
Won"t happen.

1 Like

Thank you Igno for your work, dedication and we send you love and appreciation :+1:

4 Likes

I agree with Kurt.

Adding to his points:

• Igno didn’t pick random characters for his pseudonym while this other person did
  • Why would he pick Go when he was in favor of Rust?
1 Like

The Mysterious Meaning Behind the Name of Grin Founder Ignotus Peverell https://link.medium.com/uBGNCaoAL4

4 Likes