Funding request should be at least paid XX% in Grin, we need your opinion!

min 20%max 25%

We are called the GRIN Community Council, if you receive payment for your work or contribution you will receive a percentage in GRIN.

9 Likes
  • I support a % of funding requests being paid in Grin. It seems absurd to be building a currency yet not be paying anyone in it.

• If we run with the top-down narrative that CC shouldn’t be paying people in Grin, because, the inflation rate is too high(therefore the price will keep going down), then It sets a bad precedent and becomes like a self-fulfilling prophecy…Price will continue going down, because, no one will ever use Grin( Grin is also never going to win a battle of low inflation vs other coins- So we need to completely disarm the inflation narrative ). We need to encourage people to accept Grin/ create more incentives to use Grin and create more demand for Grin, to the point where the inflation rate becomes a moot point.

• If we keep funding requests to a smaller percentage ( eg 10% Grin) then any developer, if they choose to, should have no liquidity issues selling( especially if they’re going to be taking milestone payments). Grin’s liquidity isn’t that bad. You can sell 10,000s/ sometimes 100,000s per day without having a significant impact on price.

• If people are worried about regulation in their jurisdiction, then they can send Grin to a non-kyc exchange like TradeOgre and sell for BTC. Then withdraw from there and declare any income in BTC. Hopefully, an Atomic swap market can become a solution for this as well.

9 Likes

Very glad to see finally there is some positive move in this direction!

I do think paid by Grin will partly (even very little) help increase the liquidity of Grin.

Yes, this point is CRITICAL!

2 Likes

what do you think? @scilio

2 Likes

Totally agree with @oryhp . I’m not for any mandates or restrictions on payouts. Recipients should have their choice of what’s available. All good work towards grin is good for grin, no need to over think that

Edit sorry I was late to the thread and brought up a sore subject. I accept community decision. I was going to delete the message but I actually agreed completely with phyro so it’s worth keeping

No need to apologize, all opinions given here will be taken into consideration for the Community Council 's proposal. Besides, it would be a waste to delete this post. In fact I want to print and enlist this post!
It is not every day that you and @oryph are in complete agreement with each-other, so that is something to celebrate :wink:.

1 Like

Aren’t we already doing this to an extent now? It’s not like we’ve been accommodating people and paying them in their native fiat currency or their preferred cryptocurrency. BTC has been the only real option.

Yeah, my main point is that the idea that grin payouts promotes grin is nice in an ideal world but if you’re being practical it’s harmful. In a hyperbolic example, if poelstra and blockstream offered to finish our research wish list, bounty wish list and roadmap wish list for 50 btc and explicitly refused grin, what would the community say? If it’s anything other than “here’s 50 btc” then we’re dumb. In more practical examples I still feel the same way.

1 Like

We will take these point with us in the proposal. I think the key is to be flexible and listen to reason like we always do in the Grin project. Before, the default was to pay 100% in BTC. We propose to change that to a default pay XX% in BTC and YY% in Grin. This does however not mean that we become any less flexible or less open minded. We will always listen to reason and will be understanding of personal circumstances in Funding Requests.

However, as @mcm-mike said, we are the “Grin Community Council”, meaning we will move towards increased adoption of Grin in the ecosystem, since that is Grins raison d’être. The only thing that can be argued about is the speed at which we will stimulate this adoption, which we got a lot of useful input on in this discussion.

5 Likes

There never was a default before and there should not be a default now, that is my point. It always was, and should remain, these ___ are the available funds and what would you like? Changing from this is less flexible and less open minded. I just find it realllllly dumb to very much need help and then do things that could potentially harm finding more help. This also promotes the situation where willing contributors end up going through 200 message threads about what % of grin they will accept rather than the merits of the proposal.

The very best way to improve the adoption of grin is to improve grin. We should not lose sight of that.

1 Like

This topic strikes me as a good example of bikeshedding. See Law of triviality - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Maybe, instead of forcing people to accept payments in Grin, it could be a good first step to allow people to receive Grin, so instead of x% have to be in Grin, y% can be in Grin.

1 Like

There will be no forcing :slightly_smiling_face:, the draft of the proposal is already finished. If the other Community Members agree we will discuss the proposal in the next Community Council meeting at the 31st of August and if the community does not have any major objections we can already vote to implement it.

3 Likes

The proposal to pay at least XX% in Grin will be be discussed and vote on during the Community Council meeting of today, in 1 hour from now at 12:00 12:00 CEST (10:00 UTC) on Keybase #general

If this proposal is important to you, please be there to give your vote and opinion.

3 Likes

Voted in favor/implemented.
From now on by default 10% of the requested amount in a Funding Request will be in Grin unless the applicant can provide some solid argumentation he/she requires to deviate from the default procedure and payment method.

A small step for humanity…but a big step for Grin :grin:.

12 Likes

With all due respect to the developers and all those who make or wake up to contribute.
It is logically and theoretically more reasonable to pay out fees of 75% in Grin and 25% in usdt.

1. Why 75% in grin ?! Yes, everything is simple, a developer is, first of all, the one who works for the result, and there is no point in hiring a developer otherwise. And we all know that a developing project always produces asset growth.

2. Why 25% in usdt ?! The answer is simple, all developers focus on what they want to eat every day. Distribution of twenty-five percent throughout the development of the task.

Therefore, any self-respecting developer always claims that he owns this or that skill and will completely bring the set task to a logical conclusion. The payment of 75% in grin should be distributed in equal parts throughout the entire time, but at the same time from 75% grin to block 30% and pay out at 100% completion, this will increase the chances of the developer being liable to grin.
And remember, the finer the fragmented rewards, the safer for everyone, and this makes sense.
If you come here to work, work. Money is not a question, but you need to understand who is being paid for what.

2 Likes

I don’t trust USDT….

2 Likes

A lot of Tether / Bitfinex reminds me of this:

2 Likes