Fund Alternative: A Grants Model Proposal

In any case, how we will proceed with the current situation we really should give this idea a chance to develop.

As I also did comment on the original message from @joltz on keybase:

The idea would be to create a focused and well-supported channel with a solid grants program based on zcash’s model (as best as we can) to make it more straightforward for people to get funding, while simultaneously adding new voices to the existing funding decision making process with rotating seats held by members of the community.

It might be a more efficient way to spend the money as there would be a well-defined, well-supported and more diverse decision making process. I think over time it would mean the money is spent on higher quality proposals with a better funnel to bring higher quality proposals into the Grin ecosystem, as opposed to just fracturing the existing model into smaller pieces.

Source: keybase://chat/grincoin#community_fund/570

my answer Quote:

I had a similar idea , also the grants.zfnd.org has some kind of a legal entity around it.

We are internally discussing and evaluating, if we could take grinnode.live under the umbrella of one of our open-source development companies, as a research and development branch.

This would provide a more stable and reliable starting point for legally hireling (paying taxes, I know :() freelancer and fund more projects to come.

At the same time, it would become very or frankly said 100% centralized around a few people who are running the company. But this could be circumvented when , similar to grants.zfnd.org define a few people as “project leads” with a set of code of conduct and playbooks to work in the open-source community, with a certain amount of funding for a project.

We are , and I am personally working on different, non crypto-related , but open-source projects. Applying these kind of rules already and trying to improve the project.
We are working with current open-source developer as a team , including a few freelancer’s of mine around the world and other community members.

source: keybase://chat/grincoin#community_fund/592

I am currently going though the documents of Zcash-Foundation to get a better understanding how they are operating. Also I am going though the financial documents of Zcash-Foundation in order to get a rough estimate on the capex and opex costs to setup something similar.

One of the key points we need to think about are:

– in which jurisdiction we want to open a (non)-profit crypto foundation.

• legal structure
    – Can we structure the non-profit foundation, based on blockchain-shares ? [1]

• funding
    – after going though the documentes of the zcash-foundation, and talking to some professionals, I could come up with a rough-estimation.

• and all the open questions @joltz mentioned above. :point_up_2:

[1] ( posisble, as we are currently in the process of it for my other companies)