Yeastplume - Progress update thread - Jan to March 2020

Update Friday, March 6, 2020

Onwards and upwards to 4.0.0 changes and features! Or perhaps sideways, around in circles and off in a random direction. Time will tell.

Particularly eventful and productive development meeting earlier in the week where we started to identify some v4.0.0 features. We’ll be filling the list in any day now … ahem. Much discussion on our post 5.0.0 forking strategy/consensus mechanisms and other interesting topics with as many opinions are the are people in the discussion. Good to see such a thriving level of involvement, and exciting times ahead.

So in my own personal sphere, The theme was very much 4.0.0, and a lot of mechanical work to support some of the features we’ve been discussing. In particular, a ‘slate-lite’ mode kicked off by this issue, that will enable the first leg of the any transaction to be significantly reduced in size and the data it presents to the other party. This is a decent privacy enhancement, and leads to some interesting possibilities like the ability to insert QR codes in the transaction workflow or serve up the initial slate as a relatively small string for cutting and pasting somewhere. (whether you’d want to is another story, and if you have an opinion I’d encourage you to join the chat in the wallet-dev channel)

And a bit more specifically in terms of PRs to support all this:

• Removing the V2 Owner API bye bye insecure API. If you’re a wallet developer please pay attention to this, as you will now need to use the secure owner API exclusively. I’ve added a small sample node project in the repository that demonstrates how to do this.

• Adding a V4 Slate, that looks exactly like the V3 Slate so far, but at least we all of the versioning and upgrade code to support a seamless transition around HF time is in place.

• And as the first part of the work to Lite Slates (Slatelets?) Make the transaction element in a Slate optional which turned out a bit rabbit-holey but I think it’s there and doing its job without changing anything from an external perspective. Once this is in place the next step is to start experimenting with sending excess sums instead of a list of inputs and outputs.

And quite a lot of reviews and thinking about outstanding PRs, RFCs and concepts that have been making the rounds, trying to get myself at least somewhat informed about all of the ideas and development threads that are going on (which can hurt my limited brain sometimes, bear with me).

Right, that’s all for now. Remain calm and have a decent weekend.

6 Likes