[Withdrewed] Request for Funding @davidtavarez: One-time use Slatepack addresses for Wallet (RFC and Grin++ Implementation)

I see your point, but at the moment this Funding Request was discussed there was no community fund, actually still there is not a community fund, but also this would require a RFC; maybe the question is: what is a community project then?

Correct, the funds were never meant to be invested solely in the Rust implementation, I don’t understand why is this so hard to acknowledge.

Correct, that’s why this feature requires a decent amount of discussion, there is no reason to intentionally slow this but to assure that someone could pick this up and write the Rust implementation, it could be me or someone else; the problem here is there is nobody else at the moment and I personally did not want to make a commitment to something that I was not able to deliver at that moment in a reasonable period (the rust implementation).

Yes, I understand the importance of protecting the Rust implementation, but are we really going to embrace the experimentation stage of Grin or not? if we do so, we need to encourage people to do stuff. We have a post HF wish list that we actually agreed on, this Funding Request was not even out of the boundaries.

Is this feature something that we agreed that we want for Grin? Yes.
Am I a random estranger? No.
Have I proved myself before? sort of, yes I guess, I’m not a rocket scientist but I’ve been learning more and more about Grin and I think it is clear that I can build stuff.
Was I trying to bypass the established process? No way. I said I will write the RFC and I’m willing to discuss the implementation to find the best way to do it.

So why not support this? because we need to make sure the Rust implementation is not left behind by any RFC. I get it, I totally do. I’m not blaming the Core, it makes sense, right now we are a small hand of devs, we’re not in a position of taking many risks. I have so much respect for the Core and the Community, I’m not pointing out my finger to anyone.

The fact that for some reasons, valid or not, we are not supporting contributions through the funds that are not related to the Rust implementation, is incoherent. This doesn’t mean that the Core is some sort of Legion of Doom taken from the Justice League comics; at the end of the day we are all a bunch of random people trying to do our best for Grin and I’m sitting in top of giants shoulders.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Now I can see several ways to do this without slowing down contributions, but I would personally prefer to work on something base on what I said I want to acheive.

6 Likes