Will linear emission change grin into a SOV like bitcoin?

@axon7
I can only speak for myself, but for me grin being fair is indeed about fundamental values. I would not call this a marketing point since being “fair” does not make Grin more attractive, maybe even the opposite. The more unfair a system is, the more it can be exploited. Take for example a project with premine with a super high staking reward for large share holders. It promises high returns but clearly is meant to implode within a few months or years after the initial creators and investors have cashed out. Very unfair, but very profitable if you know how to play the market.

It is similar to living in a ‘social’ society’, you chose to live in it because you know that overall everyone will have a better life since there is more equality and shared access to facilities such as health care. However, if you are a high potential, you would earn far more though if you would live in a liberal county where wealth is divided more unequally and you would be among the few super rich. So it is choice made based on your fundamental values as well maybe based on your attitude towards risk.

more equal :grinning:
Whats more equal 2 and 3 or 4 and 5?

I think linear emission will not change grin into a SOV. And if bitcoin is a store of value is very questionable. But also i think grin might become a store of value, if it gives value by being good medium of exchange. But that depends on many Components. The emission model of a coin might turn out as a problem, that’s not easy to perceive. So like other emission models linear emission might turn out as problematic as well.

(ps edit: this post contains my first First Emoji(?))

1 Like

To go back to my original point of this thread: The value proposition of Grin’s fairnness dwindles over time. Unless the emission rate scales dynamically with the total supply, after the soft cap is reached, the fairness is essentially over with.

It seems impossible to create a perfectly fair scheme. If you had a 1% emission, then how do you reach the 1% inflation rate? You need to have asymmetry at the start until you reach that 1% which itself isn’t fair. That said, I think both models would be fair enough.