Emission rate of Grin

Hmm… thought-provoking…since price inflation is equivalent to a decrease in purchasing power (for the same quantity of a currency) if it’s true that supply inflation doesn’t necessarily lead to price inflation, then neither does it lead to a reduction in purchasing power and thus supply inflation should not weaken the value of Grin. This is even more the case as the supply inflation tends towards zero. Taking account of lost or destroyed coins, equilibrium could be achieved even earlier. So it seems some folks are unnecessarily concerned about inflation in the supply of Grin.
Based on your viewpoint, another potential benefit is that given the fairer distribution of Grin i.e. not favouring a narrow cohort of banksters etc it seems reasonable to assume that the newly minted supply (supply inflation) would get into the hands of consumers in a more uniform manner which could mean that supply inflation does not result in boom-bust cycles, in the case that Grin had the status of a national or global reserve currency :grin: (…though that presupposes that boom-bust cycles are a bad thing, notwithstanding that many natural events proceed in a largely regular manner but punctuated by the occasional catastrophic event or substantial perturbation that drives things forward… food for thought and many rabbit holes here…)

3 Likes

More like “then neither does it always lead to a reduction in purchasing power and thus supply inflation might not weaken the value of Grin.” But the opposite is always possible too. All I’m saying is monetary inflation does affect purchasing power, but not always directly, universally, and immediately. I generally agree with the rest of what you said there though. Exciting stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

how many grin would a bagholder need to be considered a whale? are there any huge grin wallets?

1 Like

3 Likes

It seems Cryptocurrency ( cryptoeconomics) brings in it’s own definition of what “inflation means”. The whole mechanics of it are so much different from fiat currency. Especially for a PoW coin.

I feel like we need to better define all these terms so that everyone is on the same page.

I know some won’t like this, so please correct me:

Monetary inflation= An increase in the money supply
Monetary inflation rate = The percentage change of new coins added to the money supply over time
Emission rate = The rate at which new coins are added to the money supply
Price inflation = A decrease in purchasing power
(A decrease in purchasing power= The price of a coin goes down in value)

Many in the Crypto space have been conditioned by Bitcoin and assume that value comes from a fixed supply and that a decrease to the Monetary inflation/ Emission rate is always a good thing that will cause a coin to go up in value. So when these people look at Grin’s monetary policy they assume Inflation = Price inflation and that the price of Grin will always go down in value.

If most of a coin’s value comes from its security, then a decrease in a coins Monetary inflation/ Emission rate might weaken it’s network security, which might lead to Price inflation. The complete opposite of what many would expect.

3 Likes

A Grin whale could be someone owning a whole week of Grin (604800 Grin).

6 Likes

Can you help me understand the claim that value can come from security? There’s certainly a minimum security requirement necessary for a coin to be valuable, but it’s a relatively binary property. As long as a coin is secure enough to prevent double spends, I can’t see how increasing the security will increase the coin value. That, to me, is like claiming US dollars get their value from security ribbons and watermarks.

Tks for responses. Who knew economics could be so interesting?! Kinda sorry now that I steered clear of it in school…had to choose between that and chemistry… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

idk 600k grin is more than a whale… thats like a house in LA.
I dont know any one who has a house in any crypto currency…
i used to have 17k link but i bought most of it when it was 20 cents.
a btc whale is some one with more than 8000 btc iirc…
so even buy those standards a Grin Week is not even close to that even in the lowest of the low markets of BTC

If you are talking about a Grin whale then I think you have to quantify it relative to the available supply of Grin. I think that is ca. 26m currently, and 600k is a sizeable tranche of that. I think it qualifies as cetacean. (I think I may be a Grin mackerel.)

2 Likes

604,800 = GRiN whale; (604,800 / 26,096,340) = 2.317%
2.317% of the existing BTC supply = 418,218.50 BTC
2.317% of the existing ETH supply = 2,515,237.89 ETH
2.317% of the existing XRP supply = 2,317,566,371 XRP
2.317% of the existing GRiN supply in the year 5190 = 2,317,566,371 GRiN

5 Likes

Security(currently) comes from inflation. If you keep reducing the monetary inflation rate( without proportionality growing the fee market) then you end up in a death spiral and eventually get to an inflection point where there’s not enough security to protect against a 51% reorg/ someone trying to censor the chain for political reasons/ or just for shits and giggles. So, without enough security a PoW chain could become effectively worthless I.e has no value because no tx is safe. So your forced to rely more on trust.

If there’s not enough inflation to pay for security then miners move to a different chain (this is a much bigger issue with a GPU PoW), or where you’re not the majority hashrate for your respective algo. BCH could be a good example of this after their next halving…

If BCH hashrate drops enough it increases the likelihood of reorg. So, for big TXs you’ll need to start waiting on more blocks before your funds are safe ( ppl already talk about this for whale Bitcoin TX’s). If hashrate drops significantly then at some point you would need to start waiting on a silly amount of blocks (hours/ days) before you could be confident your funds were safe. So, eventually merchants would be less willing to accept BCH as payment, because, the risk of a double spend is too great- The whole value proposition of BCH would come into question. It could end up in a double ended death spiral, where price then starts dropping so hashrate starts dropping more.

I don’t believe the claim that value can come from security is controversial at all. But it would be controversial to claim that in all cases a decrease in security(hashrate) = a decrease in value

3 Likes

Compare USD and Grin Today:

Billions of Dollars

Cost creation: Max 14.2 cents per note
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12771.htm

Grin TOTAL SUPPLY

https://grin.blockscan.com/

Cost creation:
0.3 - 0.7 USD per Grin?

2 Likes

Forever below 10% monthly inflation rate from now on.

yay !

4 Likes

If we want to distinguish smaller and bigger whales, we could talk about day-whales and month-whales, but I think a week-whale makes for a happy medium.
There are too many hours to deserve the name whale, and I hope there will never be such a thing as a year-whale.

5 Likes

Not sure how they have calculated these numbers? They seem very misleading.

Eg a 1070 at commercial electric rates( 5c/kw) nets around 0.30 USD per day. These GPUs still retail new for circa $300 USD. So @ 0.30USD per day it could take almost 3 years to ROI. So to say the cost to mine 1x Grin on a 1070 is only $0.39, seems like a joke.

I am a five minute whale! :smiley:

Just my 2 Grin

1 Like

Not to worry, no one teaches that kind of economics in schools anyways…

Recent very well written article on downsides of diminishing rewards:

13 Likes

It is similar to mine. I liked it.

2 Likes