[Antioch] Status Update (Jul-Sep 2020)

Quick update on what I’ve been focused on over the past couple of weeks.
There have been a lot of in depth conversations around planning and scope for the final scheduled hardfork in January.
Simply keeping on top of these has been a full time role.

One thing we know we want to do is remove the redundant input features specified in both transactions and blocks. We “spend” based on commitment and we currently enforce uniqueness in the utxo set so it is technically redundant to require a transaction to specify the features byte of the output being spent.
Ideally we can get rid of this dependency and simplify transaction and block serialization.
This is not a consensus change but p2p serialization is complicated here by the need to support backward compatibility for existing peers.

PR in progress here but it is a large PR with some invasive changes -

This is going to be tough to review and I’m still not entirely happy with the changes involved.
Off the back of this I took the opportunity to refactor and cleanup some code.
These were extracted as separate PRs -

I want to spend some time this week breaking the big WIP PR apart.
I am hopeful we can get this split out into a couple of smaller self-contained PRs that will be easier to review and merge.

If we can get this finished up this week then I can move onto whatever the next priority is for HF4.
And this is going to involve thinking a bit more about scope of work over the next few months.

9 Likes